San Antonio FC get back in to Scoring Groove

USL Tulsa Roughnecks FC vs San Antonio FC

Kris Tyrpak celebrates his opener with Billy Forbes (Photo: Darren Abate/USL)

The scoreless streak for San Antonio FC came to an electric end as San Antonio FC managed a 3-1 win over Tulsa Roughnecks to get some measure of revenge for their US Open Cup exit.

“I thought tonight was a very interesting game, I think it took a little bit of time to see what each team was doing,” said San Antonio FC head coach Darren Powell. “Obviously we got off to a fantastic start with a goal within five minutes, and everyone just takes a big sigh of relief… I still think we have improvement to do.”

San Antonio FC’s scoreless streak was finally broken in the fourth minute when Kris Tyrpak scored a phenomenally intelligent goal. After being played through by Billy Forbes, Tyrpak went down under pressure but had the presence of mind to get on his rear end and stab the ball home with the outside of his boot, leaving the goalkeeper and defence stranded.

“It’s a relief,” said Tyrpak, “it’s been a long time, not only for me not only for the team, so it was great to get that early goal. Of course (I meant to put it on target). I think it took the pressure off, you could see a weight lifted off of our shoulders.”

Tulsa got back on level terms in the 27th minute after some nice passing movement from the Roughnecks allowed Matej Dekovic space on the left. Dekovic cut inside, and then squared a pass perfectly for Joaquin Rivas to bury past Diego Restrepo to end San Antonio FC’s clean sheet streak.

Tyrpak continued his great form as he managed his brace in the 32nd minute with an impressive half volley. Greg Cochrane sent the ball across the edge of the box, allowing Aly Hassan to head it on, finding Tyrpak who controlled with his chest and hit it with his left to restore San Antonio FC’s lead.

San Antonio FC wrapped up the win in the 76th minute when Devin Vega had the ball in the back of the net. The ball was played through to Hassan, who was challenged well by the Tulsa defense, only for the ball to Vega who was left with a simple finish to make it 3-1.

Tulsa should have been back on level terms in the 12th minute when Diego Restrepo spilled a cross in from a free-kick. That allowed a shot, but Cyprian Hedrick, playing in his 100th USL match got his body in the way, putting it out for a corner.

Hedrick thought he had the perfect celebration to his 100th USL match as he had the ball in the back of the net after a free kick. But unfortunately for San Antonio FC the assistant referee put the flag up for offside, disallowing the goal.

“It makes me feel old, but it’s a great feeling to know I’ve played that many games,” said Hedrick “I thought I was onside, I told my wife and my daughter I would score for them tonight, so I kind of wish that had not been called off, I’ll just be looking to do it again next week.”

Hassan went agonizingly close to scoring a third for San Antonio FC as he was able to get on the end of a Forbes cross. Hassan ran on to it and volleyed at goal but sent it just wide, in to the side netting to keep it at 1-0.

San Antonio FC was concerned in stoppage time when Diego Restrepo went down for the second time in the match. It came after some great and desperate defending kept Tulsa out, fortunately it was late enough in the match and San Antonio FC held on to the 3-1 win.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s