Tyrpak Stunner Salvages Point for San Antonio FC


Kris Tyrpak celebrates his goal with his team mates (Photo: Robin Jerstad/San Antonio FC)

A Kris Tyrpak stunner saved a point for San Antonio FC as his late goal equalized the match at 1-1 keeping San Antonio’s undefeated start to the season intact and giving them what could be a vital point in the match against Colorado Springs Switchbacks at Toyota Field on Friday night.

It was a switch of play that gave San Antonio FC their equalizer as their midfielder, Shawn Chin, looked up and sent the ball for Tyrpak on the far side. The Texan chested the ball down with his first touch, before hitting a perfect volley that left the keeper with no chance and gave San Antonio FC the draw.

San Antonio FC started well but they were stunned in the 12th minute as some sloppy defending from Stephen McCarthy allowed the run. Colorado Springs forward Adam King was able to easily run around the tall defender, allowing him a free chance on goal and he slotted it past San Antonio goalkeeper Matt Cardone easily.

“I thought the guys showed great character to pull us back into the game,” San Antonio FC Head Coach Darren Powell said. “We were down 0-1 against a team that was very well organized. I was impressed by the way they set themselves up, but full credit to our guys.”

The team sheets will have pleased San Antonio fans as they got to see a debut handed to local man Maxi Rodriguez in midfield. The cheers went up in the 61st minute when one San Antonio local was replaced with another as Rodriguez was replaced by Devin Vega, making his first ever professional appearance.

Until conceding the opener San Antonio FC seemed well on top of the match with four players; Tyrpak, Rafael Castillo, Sebastian Ibeagha, and Cesar Elizondo all having their early efforts denied, either by desperate defending or strong goalkeeping.

Following the goal, however, Colorado Springs was the stronger side, as they had the bulk of the first half chances. Despite that the San Antonio defense held strong and kept the Switchbacks from finding a second goal heading to the break just 1-0 down.

After the break San Antonio FC came out the much more dominant side and it was only a matter of time before they would break down the Colorado Springs defense. That was something Tyrpak reflected on after the match saying, “We dominated the second half for sure, we had multiple opportunities to put the game away and it just shows the resilience that we have as a team. Hopefully we can continue that throughout the season.”

Reflecting the changing nature of the match in the second half, eight yellow cards were issued (three to San Antonio, five to Colorado Springs) which lead to a broken up 45 minutes. Eventually, though, San Antonio was able to break down the Colorado Springs defense and salvage the point.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s