Trinity men see Season end to Kenyon in Round of 16

Kenyon celebrate their third goal Photo: Kenyon University Athletics

Trinity University men’s soccer saw their season come to an end on Saturday afternoon as they fell to fifth ranked Kenyon at Tufts. Kenyon were dominant as they managed a 4-0 win over the Tigers, using a big second half to tear Trinity apart.

After three straight seasons in the final eight, the Tigers had high hopes of making it to Salem in two weeks’ time. But Kenyon came out determined in conditions there were more suited to and won the match convincingly the number five team upsetting the number three team.

In the 40th minute Kenyon’s pressure told as Billy O’Neill opened the scoring as the first half started wearing down. Greg McNeer sent in the ball which found O’Neill who buried the opportunity forcing Trinity to require a comeback.

Two minutes in to the second half things got harder for Trinity as Kenyon was able to double their lead and make things difficult for the Tigers. Jordan Glassman was able to send a ball in for Woo Jeon who buried the opportunity to make it 2-0 to Kenyon.

The match was well and truly sealed for Kenyon in the 53rd minute as they were able to score a third goal. That saw Jeon seal his brace as he did all the work himself, creating the space for the opportunity to give Kenyon their third.

Trinity started the match the stronger side, with Brent Mandlekorn looking a likely outlet for the Tigers coming from set-pieces. Trinity won several corners in the early going but they could not result in goals, the best chance being a header from Laurence Wyke that went high and wide.

The first half was a very stop-start affair as the two teams were giving away a number of fouls which broke up the flow of the match. Kenyon started to take charge of the match in the final 20 minutes of the first half.

Trinity fought hard in the final five minutes of the half as they looked to find a goal to pull back in to the match. First Ryan Hunter had a chance before Kellen Reid had a chance of his own in the final 20 seconds but both chances were saved by Sam Clougher in the Kenyon goal.

Sitting three goals down just before the hour mark, Trinity was forced to go for it, trying to get a goal which would pull them back in to the match. Chris Madden went close twice for the Tigers in the 56th minute, first seeing an effort saved before sending one just wide.

It was all Trinity in the final half hour of the match but they were unable to capitalize and in the 87th minute Kenyon had their fourth. Will Bennett was able to find Greg McNeer who scored the fourth, up against Chris Morrish to seal their passage to the quarter-final.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s