Two Late Goals see UTSA Fall to WKU

WKU celebrate a goal (Photo: WKU Athletics)

The conference leaders proved too much for UTSA as they fell to a 2-0 loss to WKU in Bowling Green on Thursday night. It was a gallant fight from the Roadrunners who only fell late on in the match, conceding two late galls to fall to the defeat.

Unsurprisingly, WKU dominated most of the statistics, although UTSA certainly made it tighter than the Conference USA leaders would have expected. The best defense in the league still conceded seven shots in a very encouraging performance from the Roadrunners.

There was an early shot from each team in the early going but both those early efforts were blocked by some good defending. UTSA’s defense took a hit in the seventh minute when Alexis Alaniz took a yellow card, tying her hands for physical challenges for the rest of the match.

Following that early frenzy of attack, the match settled with WKU dominating the match, controlling the possession. The UTSA defense was doing well to get stuck in, flying their bodies in the way to block the chances and keep it scoreless.

The Roadrunners came back in the final 15 minutes of the half with Olivia Nicholls and Channing Machen looking the main outlets. Despite that they could not get past Allison Leone who did well in the WKU goal to keep it scoreless at half-time.

WKU came out from the half determined to get the opening goal as they were dominating the early proceedings. Hannah Weisse and Dee Dee Green linked up well as they were able to create several opportunities through the opening ten minutes.

The UTSA defense was holding out well, under heavy pressure from WKU, who had nine corners in the second half. Those efforts were taken by Green but the Roadrunners consistently cleared the shots away well.

In the 88th minute resistance finally broke down after another corner from Green finally unlocked the Roadrunners defense. The ball ended up loose in front of goal before WKU forward Sarah Gorham capitalized and poked it home.

Just one minute later WKU wrapped up the win, with UTSA committed forward trying to pull a goal back. That allowed a swift counter attack as Hannah Cady released Iris Dunn who ran clean through on the goalkeeper and buried the chance to seal the 2-0 win.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s