No 1 Trinity use big Second Half to Destroy Schreiner

Callum Squires scores his goal (Photo: Trinity University Athletics)

Trinity University celebrated going to number one in the country as they demolished Schreiner in Tuesday’s men’s soccer match at Paul McGinlay Soccer Field. A strong second half pushed Trinity past the Mountaineers who were defending strongly but fell away as the match wore on.

In the afternoon Trinity was awarded the number one ranking by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) in the afternoon. That boosted the side, with head coach Paul McGinlay proudly speaking of his team’s record before the match, going well over a decade with earning the top spot at least once each season.

Schreiner has had a bad start to their 2016 season as they have only won one match, coming in overtime, which lead to fears of a heavily one-sided match. But the Mountaineers came out well, determined to keep Trinity off the score sheet and they had a number of good opportunities early.

But the Tigers eventually broke through, scoring in the 39th minute as Trinity finally started to dominate the match. A through ball from Trinity defender Zac Treu went the distance, getting through several Schreiner defenders, finding Tigers forward Ryan Hunter who rounded the keeper and then easily scored the opener, just 27 seconds after coming on as a substitute a new record at Paul McGinlay Field.

That would be all the scoring for the first half, and the break helped Schreiner refresh and they again came out defensively. But this time the Tigers were able to break through sooner as Daylon Gordon scored a rare goal after Austin Michaelis found Brent Mandlekorn to square it for Gordon.

It didn’t take long for Trinity to make it three as Michaelis was able to cut the ball back for All-American midfielder Christian Sakshaug. With a smart turn, Sakshaug was able to then create space to set up defender Laurence Wyke who easily scored across the face.

With a three goal lead, Trinity was able to go to the bench and make changes, and in the 83rd minute forward Callum Squires came on. Having seen his substitute goal record broken, he scored 24 seconds after coming on, scoring with a header after being left wide open to bury the chance and reclaim his record.

Squires continued to impress, and in the 90th minute he was able to add an assist to his goal as he was given space. That allowed Squires to square for Ali Medjaouri who easily buried the chance to seal the five goal win.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s