Double wins close out season for Reagan

It may be spring break but varsity soccer continued on Tuesday night with the final matches of the regular season for a number of teams. After just keeping hold of their number one ranking last week, Reagan’s boys team managed to finish the season on a high with a 1-0 win over Lee at Comalander Stadium after the girls teams managed an 8-0 win for Reagan over Lee.

It was a tight match, with neither side really controlling things in the first half, as it was a tight midfield performance. Lee perhaps found the key to upsetting Reagan, after potentially scouting last week’s match, as they put in a strong defensive effort, frustrating the Rattlers.

That created a phenomenally tight first-half, which neither side was able to manage a goal, as the half ended scoreless. Lee’s tactically set up seemed determined to create that result, and the second half, saw them open up a little more.

But just 11 minutes in to the second half, some great solo work gave Reagan the lead that they had been working hard for. The great work came from Emilio Villarreal who created the space and unleashed an impressive shot to open the scoring.

That goal proved enough as the Rattlers stepped up their defensive performance against Lee, to really see the match fade out from there. The win should see Reagan hold the number one ranking as the playoffs start after a week off.

The girls team managed a big 8-0 victory over Lee, dominating the match in hot conditions at Comalander Stadium. That gave Reagan the district championship as they head off to the playoffs in great form.

Just three minutes in to the match Reagan had the lead as Tia Pearcy was able to send a through ball for Taylor Olson. That allowed her a simple finish, left one-on-one with the keeper and she buried it to give the Rattlers the lead.

There were two goals in three minutes in the middle of the half, the first through Olson, who this time was played in by Gaby Galan. Olson then completed her hat-trick three minutes later as she did the work on her own to make it 3-0.
Late in the half Reagan had two more goals, the first to Cassie Leony who put a simple chance away before Ariel Modisette finished the half with another goal. That gave Reagan a 5-0 lead at the half and they weren’t done yet.

There were three more goals in the second half, the first in came 10 minutes in through Lauren Anderson who did well to get the goal. With 13 minutes to play Bethany Perez put a seventh in before Julia Thiel wrapped up the 8-0 win in the final minute of the match.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s