UTSA Manage draw to close home Season

UTSA managed to salvage something from their final home match of the season as they managed a 1-1 draw against Charlotte at Park West on Sunday afternoon. The result does little to help the Roadrunners chances but keeps their hopes of lifting off the bottom of the Conference USA standings before the end of the season.

A late goal from Harper Luczka, the first in her collegiate career, sent the match to extra-time and the weather was certainly a factor. After the edges of Hurricane Patricia affected San Antonio on Friday and Saturday the wind was still around making things hard for both sides to score.

The wind was blowing at 20 miles per hour, which made life difficult for both sides, although the team kicking in to the wind tended to be the better side. That was Charlotte in the first half and they were looking the much stronger side throughout that opening 45 minutes.

Martha Thomas was looking the dangerous player for Charlotte, while for UTSA it was Channing Machen but the keepers were up to the task. Isabella Sanchez was impressive making three solid saves for the Roadrunners in the opening 15 minutes.

Charlotte finally broke through on the half-hour mark and there was nothing that Sanchez could do to stop this one. Thomas was able to set up Rebecca Beatty at the top of the box, and in space, which allowed her to shoot powerfully past Sanchez to open the scoring.

The Roadrunners looked to respond to going behind, and they had the better chances in the final half-hour. But Abby Coffey was in form in the Charlotte goal, which kept the match 1-0 at half-time but momentum was heading UTSA’s way.

That momentum vanished at the start of the second half as Charlotte were determined to come out and double their lead. But wasteful finishing was punishing Charlotte with Victoria Fubara being particularly guilty of wastefulness.

But as the match rolled on UTSA were able to push on and look more dangerous as they sought an equalizer, seeking more chances. Both sides changed their goalkeepers for the second half but it was only Charlotte’s Annika McHenry who was well tested.

With five minutes to play UTSA were finally able to hit the equalizer that their play throughout the half deserved. Brianna Livecchi crossed the ball in for Sam Batley who saw the ball fall for Luczka who was able to tap in the equalizer which pushed the match to extra-time.

In the 95th minute Charlotte went agonizingly close to sealing the game, after earlier not converting a corner. This chance came from Perri Bonner who got the shot away and beat Gonzalez but it bounced off the post allowing UTSA to clear.

The second half of extra-time was much more defensive as neither side really wanted to lose the match. The Roadrunners had the best chance of the half as Britt Von Schneidau got a header away but her effort was saved by Annika McHenry to keep it 1-1 at full time.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s